Thursday, December 19, 2013

A very lesbian Christmas...


A lesbian couple cares for the baby Jesus in a heartwarming personal story from one woman’s Christmas journey. It is reprinted with permission from the blog "Reflections from my place."

A very lesbian Christmas...

When I was a child this used to hang on our wall during the Christmas season. I grew up thinking that it was two women around a child, then I realized when I was around 18 that it is probably supposed to be Mary, Joseph and Jesus. It was only several years later When my Mom was going through her old Christmas, things and giving them away, I asked if I could have the women with baby Jesus. You see, because I've always seen them as women around Jesus it only makes sense that I eventually started to think they were lesbian women and now that is why I like it.

After all, it doesn't fit any of my sense of style or decor. It is a bit too midwestern crafty for my particular taste but theologically is is beautiful... it makes sense to me that the incarnation if it happened today might emerge from a lesbian couple. Jesus' whole ministry is about uplifting the poor, being available to those who are marginalized, and calling out the kingdom of God to those in power to uplift the powerless. Somehow the fact that it doesn't fit my interior design style is all the more appropriate, even with a theology of liberation there is still something here that is uncomfortable- now that is the Gospel!

Honestly, I love this lesbian couple who is caring for baby Jesus. I love that they that they are my image of the incarnation. They remind me to shed the romance of the birth narrative and honor the vulnerability in society, the lack of legal marital status, the challenge of whom to share their honest selves with this This is part of what the incarnation is. This is part of what I love about Christmas.

___
The author describes herself as “a liberal Christian minister… partnered to a man, and parenting two little ones.” She lives in Vashon Island, Washington and her pen name is One and Doll.

3 comments:

One and Doll said...

Awwww. Thanks for sharing a tiny piece of my story. I am honored to be included in this blog that has at times supported my journey, pushed me to discomfort and drawn me deeper into the heart of God.

Eric Martin said...

It is a JOY to rediscover art enjoyed as a child and, as an adult, to reinterpret the meaning that it held then and now.

Kittredge Cherry said...

I cherish stories like this about how spirituality is expressed in people’s everyday lives, so I’m happy that both of you shared your stories here.

One and Doll, I’m glad that you found this on your own before I had time to inform you about it. I love the way you say that pushing readers to discomfort is one of the benefits of my blog. I know that this does happen without me even intending it. Your words put it in perspective as part of the process of growth.

Eric, thanks for your insight and I’m glad that we’re rediscovering each other too.